New Features! Edit Image, Reset Data, See Gender, & More
Update 11/08/2022: A lot has changed since we wrote this update. Visit our products page to download our latest app version and sign up for Live Coaching to reach fluency, fast!
It is with great pleasure that we announce the release of our new version of the Fluent Forever app, v1.0.1. I dub this one “The Anti-Annoyance Build,” with a bunch of much-needed bug fixes and features:
Edit Image feature
Your #1 wish is our #1 command. You can finally, finally, finally edit images on your flashcards.
Tap on the […] button on the back side of any flashcard during your review session, and you will find this lovely menu:
Reset your data, change your difficulty level
Many of you have played around with our early beta, made random flashcards, and then wanted to start over with a clean slate once we released.
At long last, Reset All Data is here. We made sure to make the screen extra scary!
We also have heard from folks who selected ‘Advanced’ when they meant ‘Intermediate’ or vice versa, and wanted to go back and change their level. Got you covered!
Maintenance downtime notification
This one is less sexy…mostly it just means that we won’t be bombarding you with emails whenever we shut the app down for a few hours to fix something. But I love the Fluent Forever robot and wanted to share!
Grammatical gender in the card creation flow
We’ve been including grammatical gender on the back sides of flashcards, but we needed to make that visible also during flashcard creation. So we did.
For those of you new to Fluent Forever, I’ll give you a study tip: Pick a vivid action to associate with each gender in your target language. Perhaps feminine stuff burns, masculine stuff shatters into a million pieces, and (for German or Russian) neuter stuff crackles with electricity.
As you create your flashcards, take a moment to imagine this stuff happening to the word you’re learning (German’s Katze [cat] is feminine. Imagine a flaming cat).
Then, when you review your flashcards, see if you can recall the grammatical gender.
If you remember it, awesome. If you can’t recall it or you get it wrong, imagine a more intense story [That flaming Katze is running around your house, setting your couch and curtains on fire].
Every time you can’t recall the gender, mark that flashcard as incorrect until your story is vivid enough that the gender sticks.
Fixed daily bonuses
The ‘Bonus’ section in our Daily Goals was a bit insane, suggesting that you complete 44 pronunciation lessons, or 12 videos, or 199 review sessions. Not everyone has 35 hours to work on languages each day, so we made the bonuses a bit more palatable.
For those of you who do have a lot of time to work on stuff each day, I’d recommend the following:
- Do as many review sessions as you can. You will eventually run out of them, and that’s actually ideal.
- If you’ve completely run out of review sessions, then try and finish all the pronunciation videos.
- If you’ve done #1 and #2, then try and get ahead with your pronunciation lessons. Note that when you do this, you’ll add a bunch of review sessions. Go do those before finishing all the pronunciation lessons.
- If you’ve completed #1, #2, and #3, then the only thing you’d really benefit from is alternating between creating new base vocab or grammar flashcards, and doing review sessions. But if you’re spending >3 hours in our app on a daily basis, you may actually benefit from pulling a wee bit back (my own patience level only lets me do around 2 hours/day when I’m seriously maxing myself out). Add in alternative stuff like watching instructional videos on YouTube about grammar (for beginner/intermediate folks), watching target language TV with target language subtitles (for intermediate/advanced folks), or chatting with a tutor on iTalki.com.
Assorted bug fixes
We fixed the below list:
- The ‘repeating flashcard’ bug, where you finish reviewing a flashcard and then it bounces right back to the last one you reviewed
- The ‘Why on earth is the last flashcard in my review session blank?!’ bug
- A gaggle of sentence/word corrections in various languages
- The thing on iOS where some images wouldn’t reload or they’d flash annoyingly
- Some updates to user guidance
- Getting stuck on ‘Give us a second, we’re fetching you some cards for your review session’
- A crash or two
- We knocked out the # left indicator in your review sessions since it’s not actually accurate and was confusing. Basically, when you’re doing Ear Training flashcards, you need to get them right a few times in a row in order to get rid of those cards, and the # left indicator didn’t take that into account. We’re going to replace that with a progress bar in the future, but for now, we decided it’d be best not to give you a random number that only serves to confuse you. 😛
That’s it for this build! I hope it makes your Fluent Forever experience a lot smoother.
This also frees us up to start moving into more interesting feature development with splashier functionality like daily streak, push notifications, navigation improvements, and much, much more. 😉[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="28313910"]
Enjoy what you're reading?
Sign up for more